Waste Management Facility
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility is located on Melville Bay Road (between Nhulunbuy and Gove Airport) and is managed by Gumatj Aboriginal Corporation on behalf of the Nhulunbuy Corporation. The Waste Management Facility team can be contacted on (08) 8987 2340 during business hours.
8am-4pm Monday to Friday
9am-3pm Saturday and Sunday
Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
Accepted items, fees and charges
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility accepts the following unwanted items in line with the Nhulunbuy Corporations Schedule of Fees and Charges:
- Tyres (rims removed)
- Cars/Utes/4WDs (all oils and battery removed, de-gassed)
- Whitegoods (Fridge/Freezer/Air Conditioners all have to be de-gassed)
- Dead animals
- Green Waste from gardens
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility does not accept the following:
- Toxic substances
- Sewerage effluent
- Declared weeds
- Pesticide and pesticide containers
- Dangerous goods as indicated in the Dangerous Goods Act (NT)
- Any material considered ‘Listed Waste’ under the Waste Management and Pollution Control (Administration) Regulations (NT)
To get more detailed information please read Environment Protection Licence EPL236
Please note that scavenging, fires, littering and illegal dumping are all prohibited at the facility.
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility provides safe asbestos disposal for one week twice a year - May and October, though this may vary.
Conditions for disposal:
- All asbestos disposal must be pre-arranged with Nhulunbuy Corporation
- Asbestos must be double wrapped in 200-micron heavy duty builders plastic and taped to seal the asbestos completely
- Quantities greater than 100 kilograms must be transported in a sealed container and on a pallet
- Disposal will be charged in accordance with the Nhulunbuy Corporations Schedule of Fees and Charges. All fees must be paid in advance
- Only asbestos originating in the Gove Peninsula will be accepted
- No individual or business is permitted to dispose of more than 15 tonnes of asbestos each calendar year
- The disposal pit will be open from 10am to 12pm daily. Any asbestos arriving outside this time will not be accepted
If you need to dispose asbestos waste, please contact Nhulunbuy Corporation on (08) 8939 2200.
The Nhulunbuy Corporation is dedicated to reducing waste and providing quality services.