Alcohol Permits

If you are travelling to Nhulunbuy and the Gove Peninsula, there are some important local alcohol rules that apply.

East Arnhem Land is a ‘dry area’. This includes Nhulunbuy and the surrounding communities of Gunyangara (Ski Beach), Birritjimi (Wallaby Beach) and Yirrkala. Drinking in public places is prohibited with the exception of some popular recreational areas that are sign posted.

The region has a liquor permit system. You can drink in a licensed premise, for example a hotel, club or restaurant. However, you need to obtain a liquor permit to buy takeaway alcohol and drink in a private home.

If you are organising an event, a Special Event Permit is required.

Liquor permits and more information are available from the Northern Territory Department of Business or by calling (08) 8987 0451.