Waste Management Facility
The Nhulunbuy Corporation is dedicated to reducing waste and providing quality services. Nhulunbuy and the Industrial Estate have twice weekly domestic waste collection.
Each household is provided with one branded 140 litre bin for domestic waste. A second bin can be purchased directly from the Nhulunbuy Corporation and will be subject to the applicable charge, billed directly to the resident.
Collections occur each Tuesday and Friday and are undertaken by Arnhem Land Pest Control on behalf of the Nhulunbuy Corporation. Non standard bins will not be collected.
Unwrapped rubbish can attract flies and result in unwanted smells so it is important to wrap garbage tightly, especially in Nhulunbuy’s warm tropical climate. Placing a suitable pesticide product inside the bin to guard against maggots and flies is also recommended.
Always keep the receptacle lid closed, hose it out on a regular basis and clean it thoroughly with antiseptic solution at least once a month. After cleaning it is a good idea to air the empty bin for at least 24 hours.
If your domestic bin is not collected on collection day, it may be for one of these reasons:
- The lid is not completely closed on your bin
- Your bin is packed with heavy items (the truck is only able to lift bin of up to 80kgs)
- Rubbish has been stacked on top of or beside bin
- Rubbish has been jammed too tightly into bin
- There was a car parked in front of your bin, and the truck is unable to gain access
All bins are to be placed on the property verge by 6am each collection day and removed from the verge within a reasonable period after its collection. Rubbish bins must not permanently remain on the kerb.
For all waste enquiries including new bin services, bin repairs and collection days, please call 08 8939 2200.
For missed collection, please call (08) 8987 3900.
Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility is located on Melville Bay Road (between Nhulunbuy and Gove Airport) and is managed by Gumatj Aboriginal Corporation on behalf of the Nhulunbuy Corporation. The Waste Management Facility team can be contacted on (08) 8987 2340 during business hours.
Opening hours are 8am-4pm Monday to Friday and 9am-3pm Saturday and Sunday (closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday).
Users are required to show proof of Nhulunbuy residency, such as a drivers licence, rates notice or household mail with your address.
Items can be disposed of for free by residents and in line with the Nhulunbuy Corporations Schedule of Fees and Charges for commercial operators.
The facility accepts the following items in line with the Nhulunbuy Corporations 2017 Schedule of Fees and Charges:
- Tyres (rims removed)
- Cars/utes/4WDs (oil removed)
- Dead animals
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility does not accept the following:
- Toxic substances
- Sewerage effluent
- Declared weeds
- Pesticide and pesticide containers
- Dangerous goods as indicated in the Dangerous Goods Act (NT)
- Any material considered ‘Listed Waste’ under the Waste Management and Pollution Control (Administration) Regulations (NT).
Please note that scavenging, fires, littering and illegal dumping are all prohibited at the facility.
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility provides safe asbestos disposal for one week twice a year (generally May and October, though this may vary).
Please note that there are strict conditions for disposal:
- All asbestos disposal must be pre-arranged with the Nhulunbuy Corporation in advance
- Asbestos must be double wrapped in 200 micron heavy duty builders plastic and taped to seal the asbestos completely
- Quantities greater than 100 kilograms must be transported in a sealed container and on a pallet
- Disposal will be charged in accordance with the Nhulunbuy Corporations Schedule of Fees and Charges. All fees must be paid in advance
- Only asbestos originating in the Gove Peninsula will be accepted
- No individual or business is permitted to dispose of more than 15 tonnes of asbestos each calendar year
- The disposal pit will be open from 8am to 4pm daily. Any asbestos arriving outside this time will not be accepted
If you need to dispose of asbestos waste, please contact the Nhulunbuy Corporation on (08) 8939 2200.
The Nhulunbuy Corporation provides a number of blue bins for green waste in designated areas throughout Nhulunbuy. These are to be used by residents only. Commercial operators found using the bins will issued with an infringement.
Residents are requested to:
- Use the bins for green garden waste only
- Put items in the bin of a manually manageable size
- Take larger items directly to the Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility (free for residents)
In the interest of our environment, please do not dump green waste on your verge or outside the blue bins.