Waste Management Facility
The Nhulunbuy Corporation is dedicated to reducing waste and providing quality services. Nhulunbuy and the Industrial Estate have twice weekly domestic waste collection.
Each household is provided with one 120 litre red lidded bin for domestic waste. Collections occur each Tuesday and Thursday and are undertaken by Arnhem Land Pest Control on behalf of the Nhulunbuy Corporation.
Unwrapped rubbish can attract flies and result in unwanted smells so it is important to wrap garbage tightly, especially in Nhulunbuy’s warm tropical climate. Placing a suitable pesticide product inside the bin to guard against maggots and flies is also recommended.
Always keep the wheelie bin lid closed, hose it out on a regular basis and clean it thoroughly with antiseptic solution at least once a month. After cleaning it is a good idea to air the empty bin for at least 24 hours.
If your domestic bin is not collected on collection day, it may be for one of these reasons:
- The lid is not completely closed on your bin
- Your bin is packed with heavy items (the truck is only able to lift bin of up to 80kgs)
- Rubbish has been stacked on top of or beside bin
- Rubbish has been jammed too tightly into bin
- There was a car parked in front of your bin, and the truck is unable to gain access
All bins are to be placed on the property verge by 6am each collection day and removed from the verge within a reasonable period after its collection. Rubbish bins must not permanently remain on the kerb.
It is an offence to place any domestic waste out for collection unless it is contained in a Nhulunbuy Corporation issued garbage bin. On the spot fines may be issued to those residents who fail to comply.
For all waste enquiries including new bin services, bin repairs, collection days or missed collection, please call (08) 8939 2200.
Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility is located on Melville Bay Road (between Nhulunbuy and Gove Airport) and is managed by Gumatj Aboriginal Corporation on behalf of the Nhulunbuy Corporation. The Waste Management Facility team can be contacted on (08) 8987 2340 during business hours and 0407 972 550 in case of after hours emergencies.
Opening hours are 8am-4pm Monday to Friday and 9am-3pm Saturday and Sunday (closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday).
Users are required to show proof of Nhulunbuy residency, such as a driver’s licence, rates notice or household mail with your address. Due to the limited capacity of the site, waste from outside Nhulunbuy, the Industrial Estate or Gove Airport is not accepted.
The facility can be used for the disposal of items including:
- General household waste
- Green waste
- Cardboard and paper
- Gas bottles
- Electronic waste (computers, printers, televisions etc)
These items can be disposed of for free by residents and in line with the Nhulunbuy Corporation’s Schedule of Fees and Charges for commercial operators.
The facility accepts the following items in line with the Nhulunbuy Corporation’s 2017 Schedule of Fees and Charges:
- Tyres (rims removed)
- Cars/utes/4WDs (oil removed)
- Dead animals
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility does not accept the following:
- Toxic substances
- Sewerage effluent
- Declared weeds
- Pesticide and pesticide containers
- Dangerous goods as indicated in the Dangerous Goods Act (NT)
- Any material considered ‘Listed Waste’ under the Waste Management and Pollution Control (Administration) Regulations (NT).
Please note that scavenging, fires, littering and illegal dumping are all prohibited at the facility.
Find below a copy of the Nhulunbuy Corporation’s NT Environment Protection License (EPL18-03) for the Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility.
The Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility provides safe asbestos disposal for one week twice a year (generally May and October, though this may vary).
Please note that there are strict conditions for disposal:
- All asbestos disposal must be pre-arranged with the Nhulunbuy Corporation in advance
- Asbestos must be double wrapped in 200 micron heavy duty builder’s plastic and taped to seal the asbestos completely
- Quantities greater than 100 kilograms must be transported in a sealed container and on a pallet
- Disposal will be charged in accordance with the Nhulunbuy Corporation’s Schedule of Fees and Charges. All fees must be paid in advance
- Only asbestos originating in the East Arnhem Land region will be accepted.
- No individual or business is permitted to dispose of more than 15 tonnes of asbestos each calendar year.
- The disposal pit will be open from 8am to 4pm daily. Any asbestos arriving outside this time will not be accepted.
If you need to dispose of asbestos waste, please contact the Nhulunbuy Corporation on (08) 8939 2200.
Green waste bins
The Nhulunbuy Corporation provides a number of blue bins for green waste in designated areas throughout Nhulunbuy. These are to be used by residents only. Commercial operators found using the bins will issued with an infringement.
Residents are requested to:
- Use the bins for green garden waste only
- Put items in the bin of a manually manageable size
- Take larger items directly to the Gove Peninsula Waste Management Facility (free for residents)
In the interest of our environment, please do not dump green waste on your verge or outside the blue bins.