Nhulunbuy Primary School
Phone: (08) 8987 0422
Fax: (08) 8987 2203
School history and size
Nhulunbuy Primary School began as Nhulunbuy Area School in 1972 and became a primary school in 1981. It is one of the larger primary schools in the Northern Territory.
Nhulunbuy Primary School is very proud of its focus on children’s learning outcomes and of its impressive academic record.
Special features and programs include:
- Literacy/Numeracy—special support programs include Guided Reading and Sensory Motor Skills
- Inclusion—the school has a significant number of children with special needs, and five high needs children in the Special Education Annex
- Parents/Partners—the school has a very active council made up of parents and featuring a number of sub committees (finance, facilities, education, community liaison, early childhood, grounds and Council of Government Schools Organisation (COGSO)). All school-based policies such as behaviour management, parents as partners and sun sense, have been developed through the School Council
- Sporting programs—students have the opportunity to participate in Northern Territory sporting activities, sporting carnivals and school sports teams for rugby, soccer, tennis, cricket and more
- Cultural programs—the Performing Arts is a strong focus for the school, with an emphasis on child self-esteem and wellbeing. The school has a choir and students can participate in the Northern Territory School of Music. The Year 7 students have an excursion to Canberra each year
- Academic programs—students can become involved in the Tournament of Minds, Dharra School, territory wide MAP tests and national/ international testing programs (for example, Westpac maths, english, science and computing)
- Sun sense—we have a sun smart policy—no hat no play.
Nhulunbuy Christian School
Nhulunbuy Christian School is a non-denominational, co-educational Primary and Middle school (Transition – Year 9) of approximately 200 students. It is a new and well resourced school and has grown rapidly over the past ten years.
Our aim is to:
- Partner with parents in providing a general education of the highest quality, particularly in the core areas of numeracy and literacy. We invite you to view the ‘Myschool’ website (www.myschool.edu .au) to view our NAPLAN test results.
- Provide a Christian environment for children to learn skills, attitudes and knowledge through their academic duties which will equip them to participate and contribute in the modern world
- Foster a co-operative relationship between all members of the school, parents, staff, students and the community of Nhulunbuy
- Support parents whose lifestyle is sympathetic with Christian ethics, by continually building Christian faith and character in their children so that our relationship with Jesus may be strengthened and understood.
Being a Christian school we educate from the platform of a Christian world view – we believe God to be real, Jesus worth following and that every person has intrinsic value and is extravagantly loved. Whilst there is no requirement that parents are Christian, each parent needs to be supportive of the school’s Christian ethos.
NCS strives to maintain its family feel and all parents are encouraged to become involved and participate in school activities. These activities could include helping in the classroom, assisting at carnivals and excursions, giving input on policy matters and serving on the School council or Parents and Friends committee.
We are proud of the community we have become.
The students are terrific and learning happens effectively across a broad range of abilities. We are strong in the core subject areas and increasingly creative in our use of technology and elective subjects. We invite you to contact us to have a chat about the school.
Nhulunbuy Christian School is part of the Northern Territory Christian Schools Association.
Nhulunbuy High School
Phone: (08) 8987 0844
Fax: (08) 8987 1944
Matthew Flinders Way
Nhulunbuy NT 0881
Nhulunbuy High School opened in 1981, and caters for students in years 8–12. In 2005 there were around 240 students enrolled, with around 70 in the senior school. With a dedicated and experienced teaching staff and high quality resources, the school has achieved strong academic results in many different disciplines. Students at the school have come from across Australia and the world, and bring a wealth of international experiences with them. Many students are first generation born in Nhulunbuy, who bring a sense of stability and pride in the town. There is generally a strong work ethic among the students.
The school is situated on the edge of town, 500 metres from the town square and one kilometre from the beach. Comprised of a number of small, specially-designed air-conditioned classroom blocks, the school is set in a parkland of lawns, trees and gardens. Most trees and shrubs are natives and the large school oval is surrounded on three sides by native bush, which attracts a variety of colourful native birds. All buildings at the school are interconnected with covered pathways, and buildings have verandahs on all sides that provide both shade and shelter. Plentiful wooden seating is provided, which is interspersed among the trees. The school also caters for students in wheelchairs.
The school has three science laboratories, two technical workshops for woodwork, metalwork and plastics, a fully-equipped library with free internet access, a theory room for technical drawing and design work, art rooms including a pottery area, a home economics kitchen and a textile area. There are two networked computer laboratories, as well as a number of computers in the math and humanities faculties.
The school has a specialist learning centre for students with specific needs, as well as a well-resourced Careers and Vocational Education Centre. A large, covered general-purpose area with a wooden stage is used for assemblies and physical education. A recent addition to the school facilities is a new $2.5 million air-conditioned multi-purpose sports area which has proven very popular with the students. There are also two outdoor tennis courts, two basketball courts and plenty of parking and bike racks.